Monday, January 7, 2013

Balancing Act

Life is a balancing act and sometimes I feel like one of those clowns at the circus.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  The ones that have the really long sticks and they are twirling plates on the top of the sticks.  At first they have one stick with a plate, that's not too bad.  Then they add another stick and plate.  Now they have one in each hand, keeping the sticks moving to keep the plates going.  Then they start having another clown add sticks more sticks to their hands and you just keep waiting for one of the plates to fall.

With work, husband, kids, sports, house cleaning, meals, grading, etc.  (the list goes on) I feel like I'm holding all those sticks trying desperately to keep the plates in the air.  In order to keep myself from going complete crazy I have often laid down the sticks that I felt weren't important.  Guess what those things were.  Yep, things that were just for me.  It is so easy for me to keep things going when it is for others but when it is important for me it gets low priority.  I'm learning that I have to make myself a higher priority.  In the long run, a healthier mom, wife and teacher will make for one that has an easier time keeping all those plates in the air.

I was at work a little after 7 a.m.  Had a great day with my students.  Various things after work kept me there until after 5 and I didn't get home until close to 6.  According to my 10K training schedule I was supposed to do a 3.5 mile run today.  So I got home, changed my clothes and headed out.

I had all my safety gear, reflective vest, red flashy light and flashlight.  I ran down a road that is near my house that has good sidewalks, is well lit and is busy.  This way I could see well, be seen well and there was lots of traffic around in case something happened.  If I am running in the dark alone I try not to be stupid about it.  My family knew where I was going and about how long it should take.

I did okay.  The first mile was okay, second mile was slower but sped things up for the third mile.  Ran the 3.5 and then walked the last bit to my house.

I have now been running every other day since the day after Christmas.  I feel like I'm on the right track for change.  I have to keep reminding myself that I may not see any change.  I have my next doctor's appointment in February.  I want to be able to go in there and really feel like I have done absolutely everything that I am supposed to do to be healthy.

Here are the stats about my run:


So day 1 of work and running is done.  I felt like I was running in place and getting nowhere fast.  But since I'm trying to change my attitude....at least I was running!  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment