Monday, February 4, 2013

Never Give Up!!

My school district has these great "Core Value" shirts that we wear.  Everyone in the district wears one on the first Monday of the month and our school staff wears one every Thursday.  We have 10 core value statements.  I own three of the shirts and I think I might need to get more. 

Today as I after I got dressed I looked at myself in the mirror and realized what my shirts says.  


I have worn this shirt a bunch of times throughout this school year.  I try and model the behavior and integrity I would like to instill in my students and it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't really been modeling this statement.  Last fall I gave up.  I quit running, I quit watching what I eat and I just let it all go.  How is that showing my students that you should NEVER give up?  It's not!  I'm glad that I have been working hard since Christmas.  I am going to continue to work hard.  Even if I don't see results I am going to keep working at it.  I tell my students to never give up and now I am going to make sure I do the same.  I'm sure I will have my blah days where I feel like a walrus and my days where I am a bad ass.  lol  But I will NOT give up!  I'm too important!  

Today was the first day of my training program for the Eugene Half Marathon in April.  I have the Shamrock Run and the Corvallis Half Marathon between now and then.  Eugene is my goal though.  It was the very first Half Marathon I ever did and I want to improve my best time.  My best time at the Eugene Half is 3:07.  I want anything under three hours and I am going to work my ass of to make that happen.  Seven minutes faster doesn't sound like much but it can be a lot over 13.1 miles.  Hopefully I will have less ass by then which should help my speed.  haha

Today's run wasn't too bad.  I didn't cramp but during mile two my legs got really tight.  It was as if my muscles were complaining (loudly) about going for a run after the brutal workout last Saturday.  I worked very hard on working through it and not giving up (to me giving up would have been walking).  Mile two was much slower than one but I was able to pick up the pace for mile three and got a negative split there.  My average pace was just under 14 minute miles.  I think I'm getting stronger if not exactly faster.  



Getting stronger and learning things about myself that I am praying will help me make changes that are lasting and not just for the moment.  

If you are out there, good job.
If you didn't get out there today, no worries, start tomorrow.
If you have given up, start again!  NEVER give up! You are worth it!!
If you see me out there and give me a honk or a wave, thank you!!  It makes me smile and helps me keep going!

Happy Monday!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment