Friday, February 8, 2013

These aren't the droids you are looking for...

It's been a busy week!  I'm sure my three followers have been wondering if I have been working out this week.  The answer is YES!  I just haven't had a spare moment to sit and write about any of it this week.  Here is what I did this week:

Monday: 3 Miles
Tuesday: 4 Miles
Wednesday: 30 Minute Swim
Friday: 3 Miles

See, and you thought I was being a slacker.  No faith people, no faith.  :-)

Monday's run wasn't too bad.  I had a pretty good average pace and didn't feel terrible during the run.

Tuesday's run was the pits!  The wind was blowing really hard but it was okay for the first two miles, partly because the wind was on my back most of the time.  However, when I turned around to head back it started to rain.  At first it was a tiny drizzle, then it was rain, then it was just dumping.  I got soaked.  My baseball cap was soaked through and rain was dripping off the bill.  I had two shirts and a jacket on and I was wet all the way to my skin.  I was so cold!  I had run after work so I still had a 25 minute drive before I got home.  Luckily I had brought an extra shirt so I swapped out the wet shirts for the dry one while sitting in my car.  Blasted the heater all the way home, took a HOT shower and I was still cold.  Just couldn't seem to warm up.  I hate that!

Wednesday I had a pretty good swim.  I'm feeling stronger so I'm not complete jello when I am done.  I can tell I worked hard but I am able to get out of the pool without feeling like I need a forklift to help me out.  That's progress in my mind.  And right now I take every success I can get!

Thursday was a rest day, which was good because it was a crazy day and when I got home I had to put all our tax stuff together.  Today my oldest daughter, Goober #2, is participating in her District Swim Meet.  She was in a small car accident last year at the end of her swim season that resulted in a broken collar bone.  She was so bummed not to be able to swim at Districts and have a shot at going to State.  This year she is healthy and hale and we are heading out soon to see her in action.  I got the day off so I won't miss a thing.  Because of our appointment with the tax man (the tax man cometh..sorry, couldn't resist) and then the swim meet I wasn't sure when I would have a chance to get my run in today.  I knew I wouldn't feel like it when we get home tonight.  My training plan calls for a 3 mile run today.  All the calorie counting also has me thinking about the calories in vs. calories burned more and Goober #2 has asked for pizza tonight so she can carb load for day two of Districts.  I had decided to get up at my normal time and run my three miles so that it was just done and I could enjoy the rest of the day AND eat pizza guilt free.  (Not go wild but not deprive myself either.  I'm learning that balance is a good thing.  If I deprive myself all the time then I will just be crabby and probably will self-sabatoge.  Don't want that!)

I woke up a little after 5:00 this morning.  I'm awake but all nice and cozy and warm.  Why oh why would I want to get up early, on my extra day off, when I could sleep in and go run?  Why?  Oh yea, because:

1.  I want to be healthy.
2.  I have a training plan and need to stick with it. (Remember the Runaway Pumpkin Half!  No training = much pain!)
3.  I want guilt free pizza!  lol

So I dragged my lazy butt out of bed and went for my run.  It was cold and I just couldn't seem to find my rhythm this morning.  Then it must have gotten colder because it started getting a wee bit slick and I just decided to walk the last half of the 3 miles.  My get up and go wasn't with me this morning.

I was thinking about this as I ran.  Wondering why some days I can work through the aches and pains and eventually find a really good groove and other days every step is a struggle.  I feel like I'm searching for something even while I'm on my run and I'm not finding it some days.  Kind of like the Stormtroopers in Star Wars looking for C3PO and R2-D2 and just never finding them, even when the droids are right in front of them.  (Yes, I'm a geek, love my Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Firefly, and the list goes on.) :-)



So today I didn't find my droids, or my mojo, or that extra kick to make the run great.  But I didn't give up, I didn't cut the route short.  I finished my three miles.  I had to walk 1.5 but I still did it.  Two months ago that would have really frustrated me.  Today I feel like I worked the kinks out and tomorrow's 6 mile run will be better because of it.  We shall see.

In the meantime, I'm off to cheer on Goober #2!!!  No matter how she does I am incredibly proud of her.  However, I hope she finds the droids.  :-)


4 comments:

  1. I always look forward to reading your blogs. You continue to encourage me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I love reading yours too! Congrats on the weight loss! Feels good to see results I'm sure. :-)

      Delete
  2. Meighan Van VeldhuizenFebruary 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

    Mom! That's HILARIOUS! I will be looking for the wanted droids! :D

    ReplyDelete