Sunday, July 17, 2022

It's All About the Shoes!!

When I first started running I really had a hard time spending $130 or more on a pair of tennis shoes.  

This was a twofold problem.  One, I didn't feel like I should be spending that kind of money on me.  That's an issue I've been working on. Two, $130 or more is a lot of money for a pair of shoes!  I didn't really think it was worth it.  

Now that I've been running for over 10 years (how crazy is that?) I absolutely know the shoe makes a HUGE difference and it is worth every penny!

Cheaper shoes, think the Foot Locker or Payless shoes, make the bottom of my feet hurt.  They don't have enough support for the pounding of running, even walking really.  When I wear them, my feet ache all along the sole.  Especially at night when I'm trying to sleep.  So then I'm a woman with sore feet and I'm crabby because I'm not sleeping well.  Not a good combo. 

If your feet hurt every time you run, you will stop running!  So it's a good idea to have something that won't make your feet hurt!  That way you keep running!

When I first started running I thought that all expensive running shoes were created equally.  This is also not true.  It takes some time and some money to figure out what works best for you.  While some shoes didn't work for running, I used all of them to wear to work since I stand most of the day.  They might not have worked for running but the money wasn't wasted because they worked great for work.  

My first couple of running shoes were Nike.  But I was having problems with how they fit on my big ole feet.  Every time I got a new pair, there was some spot that got rubbed raw and my feet always hurt.  So my husband took me down to a local running store in Salem called Gallaghers.  They watched me run, looked at how I stand, talked to me about what was hurting in the shoes I have been wearing.  

I felt listened to.  At no time during that visit, or actually any visit I've had there, did I feel discounted as a heavier person.  If I say I'm a runner, then I'm a runner and they are going to make sure I have the best shoe possible for me.  That is way cooler than most people even know!!

If you live in Oregon, Gallagher's is located in downtown Salem.  Here's the link to their website: https://activesalem.com/  Go check them out!!

After that first visit I switched to Brooks Adrenaline.  I love this shoe!  I have faithfully bought it for years and it has been my go to shoe.  It gives me solid support and my feet don't hurt after I run.  They changed the Adrenaline a few years ago and they weren't working as well as they had.  So there were a few years where I tried some other shoes, but never with the same success.  Then word on the running street (pun intended) was that Brooks had changed the Adrenaline back to more what it used to be.  I just bought another pair and I'm so happy!  

Purple Brooks Adrenaline!

Another thing I love about Brooks.  They have women sizes that go up to a size 13 for women.  Since most local running stores don't carry that many shoes in the larger sizes for women, I go directly to the Brooks website to order my shoes, now that I know what size works for me.  I wear a size 11 normally but I get a 11.5 since my feet swell up when I'm running and it's hot.  This gives me wiggle room but not so much that I slide around in the shoe.  The reason I don't just get a men's shoe is because they don't have the fun colors!  I'm pretty sure I run faster when I like the color of my shoe.  😃  https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us

For hiking I also use Brooks only my hiking shoes are Brooks Ghosts.  More tread on the bottom for hiking which helps during the Oregon wet times where things can be slick and muddy.  

Brooks Ghost

My husband wears Hoka Speedgoats.  He loves them and has several pairs so that he rotates their use depending on what he is doing.  It took him a few tries to find the right type of Hoka for him but he has been buying the Speedgoat's for awhile.  We also buy his shoes straight from the Hoka website.  Joe also has big feet and we can find the shoe he want's and more choices in colors by going directly to the website.  https://www.hoka.com/en/us/

Hoka Speedgoats 5

If you are new to running I want to encourage you to work at finding the right shoe for you!  It is worth the money!!!  You are worth the money!!!  And when you start a new journey on being a healthier you, things are going to be sore and hurt.  That's normal.  But some things you can fix, like your feet hurting.  

Talk to your friends that run or walk regularly, see what they recommend.  Go to your local running store and see what they say.  Try out something, if it doesn't work, try something else.  Yes, I know, it's a lot of money.  

But you are worth it!!  

And your feet will thank you!!





No comments:

Post a Comment