Sunday, May 10, 2020

So I did a thing..

One of the goals I had set for myself this year was to ride to the top of McKenzie Pass.  This pass is closed in the winter.  Once they plow the road and do some repair work they open it up for bikers to ride for a few weeks before cars can be on it.  It's something many of my friends have done and I always thought it looked amazing but was not sure it was something I could actually do. 

Last weekend some friends said they were going to do the ride and people could come along and do the ride too (social distancing being observed!)  The weather was lining up to just about perfect. 

I wanted to go so bad but with the way things have been going I had some seriously big doubts on whether I could make it to the top.  I decided to ask my coach if he thought it was a good idea.  I was secretly hoping he would have reservations about me trying it.

No such luck.  He said go for it.  lol

Well crap. 

Joe and I talked about it and decided to go up earlier so that there wouldn't be as many people.  I often have a hard time when doing activities with other people not getting frustrated that I can't keep up.  Then I get all mental and don't have fun.  Or I push too hard and end up completely wiped out and miserable. 

So we decided to go up early and give me time to just do my thing. 

Good call. 

I'm not going to lie.  I had serious doubts on whether or not I could actually do this. 

I'm so heavy right now.

I haven't been working out consistently.

I just don't have a lot of confidence. 

I got pretty wound up in the days leading up to Saturday.

There were a few tears in the truck as we were getting ready to ride. 

Nice thing was that Joe never once doubted I could make it happen. 

We had a plan that I would do my thing.  Stop when I needed, go as slow as I needed and just enjoy my ride.  He would ride ahead if he wanted and come back to see me. 
It's go time!

Are you ready yet?
Joe had warned me that there was about three miles of steady, steep climbing.  He didn't really tell me when that part had started.  I figured it out when it was done and he started riding on his own.  He pretty much stayed right with me through the steepest part. 
From this point on, no cars allowed.  We had gone about 2.5 miles from where we parked.

I worked hard at just moving along.  Didn't push hard, just tried to keep moving.  I stopped about every mile  or so where there was a good spot and gave my legs a break, ate or drank a little and took pictures.  So many amazing pictures  The day was glorious!
Is stopping to take pictures of the mountains like stopping to smell the roses?
View of Mt. Jefferson from Windy Point
I'm really doing this! 
I've reached the snow.  Little over 1.5 miles to go to make the top.

The last half mile to the top I was getting tired.  It was getting steep again and I kind of felt like I had been riding forever.  Joe kept up the encouragement and basically talked me up that last half mile.  Suddenly he took off fast and rode ahead.  Turns out he wanted to be able to catch a quick video of me finishing at the top by the elevation sign.  The video pretty much says it all. 

It was incredible to be at the top. 

For so many reasons.

  • I did a really hard thing and made it.  
  • I had been really scared to do it but I did it anyway.
  • The view at the top was Ah-May-Zing!!

Sisters
The observatory.


Joe and I, together at the top.  Couldn't have done it without him!

 


Joe decided to take off and see if he could meet up with our friends and ride to the top with them.  I decided to take it easy going down.  Didn't want to haul ass down the hill and crash because I hit a pot hole or something.  Lot's of people were coming up the hill now so I'm really glad that we had gotten started so early. 

I got back to the truck and just could stop smiling. 

I had done it. 

For real. 

I'm heavier than I have been in years.  (Hard not to cringe at the pictures a little). 

But this big girl got to the top of the pass with this body. 

That deserves to be celebrated!!!

I loaded up the truck and changed my clothes.  Drove down to the high school to wait for Joe to finish up his ride.  It was nice just sitting and watching the bikes coming down off the pass.  While thinking, "I did that too!"

Once Joe got back and cleaned up we sat in lawn chairs and had a celebratory cider and just enjoyed the day.

It was a VERY good day.

We both had so much fun. 

I have a long way to go for some of the things I want with my health and fitness.

But I have a lot more confidence in myself. 

A little more Can Do attitude. 

Still making those adjustments in the right direction. 

And I'm still moving. 

***Also, I posted pictures of the ride on Facebook and was completely overwhelmed by the love and support sent my way.  Thank you to all my friends and family that love on me, in spite of myself.  I love you all!! 💜💜💜




No comments:

Post a Comment