Sunday, September 1, 2019

Yosemite Backpacking Trip

My BFF, Faylene, has gone on a ladies backpacking trip with some of her cousins and other ladies for several years.  I have wanted to go along for several years. 

Last year I was supposed to go along but there were so many fires in Northern California that most of the park was closed and even if we had gone the smoke was so bad that we wouldn't have seen much.

So instead, Faylene, two other friends and I went backpacking in the Jefferson Wilderness in Oregon.  We had a great time and I got my first taste of backpacking.

This year there were no fires, no smoke and no reason that the trip couldn't happen.

Except for myself.

I almost didn't go. 

August got really booked up with activities and adventures.  Part of that was taking my youngest daughter to college right after we were scheduled to be back from Yosemite.  We were planning to drive and it was going to take a couple of days down and back.  Then, almost immediately, I would be heading back to work.  This is not a schedule that leads to me feeling rested and recharged before my summer is over.

I also had not been working out consistently so I was worried about not being able to keep up.

Towards the end of July I had pretty much decided I wasn't going to go.  But I hadn't said anything yet to Faylene because I knew she would be really disappointed that I wasn't going.

On top of everything else, I hadn't been able to get into my classroom to get things set up.  I moved classrooms so that I now have windows and a door to the outside.  Yay!  But that means sorting, hanging things on the walls, figuring out computers, moving whiteboards, etc.  I usually like to have everything all set up and ready before I officially go back to work.  We really don't get much time to prep and get ready for school, most of our first week is involved in professional development and meetings.

Needless to say, I was getting a little stressed about managing to get everything done and not be a complete basket case.  Which I have felt like I am already there most of the summer so I didn't see the point in making it worse.

But I still couldn't bring myself to tell Faylene.

We decided to fly to Costa Mesa to get Meighan to college instead of driving.  One of her friends that goes to the same college was driving down early and was willing to take some of her big bulky things.  We each would check two full suitcases when we went and she would pack all her clothes in those and then we would buy sheets and towels when we got down there.

This gave me more time between the Yosemite trip and the California trip.  It also meant I could fly home and have a day to recharge before I go back to work.

I still was really unsure if it was a good idea but I decided to go to Yosemite.

I worried about if it was the right decision right up to the day we left on the trip.

I worried about if it was the right decision the entire first day we were driving.

I literally sat in the back seat with my sunglasses on spontaneously crying throughout the day.

I was going to miss five days of hanging out with my daughter before she left for college.

I was going to not get anything accomplished in my classroom.

I wasn't physically ready to do this.

I didn't know all the other ladies (there were five more besides my friends Faylene and Wendie) and I could feel my shy side and insecurities growing.

I was very overwhelmed.

Even when I was packed up and in the car heading out on the trip I was still having second thoughts. 

We drove to Tahoe the first day to meet up with Faylene's cousin April.  We were going to spend the night in Tahoe and then load up April's backpack and head out to Yosemite the next morning.

I have never been to Tahoe and it was breathtaking.  Loved the drive around the lake to Incline Village to meet up with April.  April and her husband had made an awesome dinner together and we went down and ate by the lake.  Both April and Jon were so friendly and we had the best time talking and laughing at dinner. 
Having April and Jon greet me with giant hugs like they have known me forever helped some of my worries and insecurities go away. 

April lead us up to the VRBO she had arranged for us to stay at.  We unloaded the car and got ready for bed.  We were sitting on the porch enjoying the evening and chatting.  There was a little glow of light behind the hill and I wondered what lights those were.  A few minutes later Faylene said it was the moon!  We got to watch a beautiful moon rise.  Not quite a full moon but so incredibly bright!
The next morning we did some organizing.  We would be leaving some bags at April's house so that we didn't have to worry about trying to store things in a bear locker while we were backpacking.  We headed back to April's house and got a little breakfast and when April had her backpack ready we loaded up again. 

Because I had never been to Tahoe before Faylene stopped at a viewpoint so we could get out and I could take some pictures.  (She takes good care of me!) 
Lake Tahoe

The ant was dragging this feather.  He was very determined!
We were fascinated with the ant and the feather.  lol
This time it was destination Yosemite. 
We had a lot of fun talking and singing in the car.  The other three did a lot of remembering past trips and talking about the different places they had hiked to on their Yosemite adventures. 

It wasn't too long, especially after the long drive the previous day, before we were driving up into the mountains. 

All these breathtaking views and they were just from the car.  If it was this amazing, I couldn't imagine what I would be seeing when we hiked in!

We were supposed to car camp the first night and since we would get there first we were supposed to find us a camping spot.  The one that we were supposed to meet at was full but one just a little bit down the road we found two open spots right by the river.  Score!

Then we had to drive a couple of miles down the road in order to get cell service so we could let the other ladies know where they could find us. 

We had a few hours so the ladies decided we should go into the Yosemite Park so that I could see Tuolumne Meadows and also try and find me a National Park Token for my collection.  First we stopped at the little store to get some snacks and look around.  Wendie pulled me over to the side of the store that had the post office.  Yosemite is on the Pacific Coast Trail and the post office is where people can send packages for hikers that are hiking long portions of the trail.  It was fun to see all the different boxes and people's names.  I bet the hikers love getting those packages!!
Tualomne Meadows Post Office, Yosemite
Then we walked across the street and looked at the meadow.  It was so beautiful.  I couldn't get over how much there was to see and we hadn't even left the main road going through the park. 

Faylene, Wendie and April
After many stops at different buildings we finally found my park token at the visitor center.  I can't wait to put it with the rest of our tokens!
Mission Accomplished

While we were stopping at different places we found some of the other ladies!  We were able to tell them where exactly we were camping.  We went to the Visitor Center and then went to join up with them.

My uneasiness had returned.  I wasn't sure what to expect from these ladies.  Once again, I realized I shouldn't have worried.  Every single one of them hugged Faylene, then Wendie, then April and then me.  I felt so welcomed and a part of the group from the moment they met me.  Shay showed up a little while later and suddenly the whole group was there!  Eight ladies in total. 
Faylene, April, Shay, Pam, Me, Vickie, Juana and Wendie (from left to right)
We all brought food that we couldn't bring backpacking and had a shared meal.  Totally took advantage of the one night of car camping! 

I've been trying to decide how best to share about the trip.  I think I am just going to let the pictures do the talking for the backpacking.  So many stories and adventures, too many to tell.   

First night at Ellery Lake Campground.
Home away from home.
Add caption
Watching the sun set on the hills.
We saw a coyote on the other side of the river.
We also saw two Bald Eagles fly over us and land in tress across the river.
Backpacking Day One.
Good Morning!
About a mile of the trail looked like this.  Glad I had trekking poles!!

When I am on trails I watch the trail and my feet because I trip if I don't.  Since I don't enjoy falling down I try to pay attention.  However, when you are so busy looking at the trail you sometimes miss the views around you.  Wendie was behind me and every once in a while she would say, "Lisa, look up!" and I would stop and look.  And lose my breath. 

Backpacking Day Two.

I got sick the evening before and didn't feel any better when I got up in the morning.  I opted to stay in camp and just hang out while the rest of the ladies went on a day hike.  It was tempting to try and suck it up but I was pretty sure I would regret that if I did.  I hung up my hammock and took in the view.
The Kitchen

So glad I packed my hammock!!
It was not the day I had planned on or wanted.  I was very disappointed to not go on the day hike.  But it was the day I needed.  I had a lot of time to be still and I very much felt God's presence in the quiet stillness of the mountains.  My heart soaked it up.
The awesome ladies!  Sharing a yummy desert and trying to dodge mosquitoes.
Backpacking Day Three.

Putting our shoes back on after a creek crossing. 
I am beyond blessed to have this amazing woman in my life!
Close examination of a flower (it looked like an elephant's head!)



We met lots of people during our adventure.  I enjoyed chatting with people, hearing where they were from and what they were up to on their adventures.  We met one lovely retired lady the first night named Dori.  She was so funny and friendly. 

The consistent thing I heard was that people thought it was so cool that we were a big group of women backpacking together. 

I thought it was pretty cool too.

I can not even begin to express how much this trip meant to me.  My cup was filled in so many ways that it kept overflowing through my eyes! 

Juana, April, Vickie, Shay, Pam.  All my worries about fitting in and doing okay were a complete non-issue.  I was part of the group and loved getting to know all of you!!  I loved getting to know each of you better learning about the flowers, bees, sharing stories about our kids, singing Hamilton songs and just letting everyone be our true selves.  Such a gift!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Faylene and Wendie.  I love you both so much.  Thank you for being my friends no matter what.  I treasure our friendships beyond measure! 

I'm so glad I didn't let myself miss this experience. 

Can't wait to do it again.  (But is there a way we could do it without the mosquitoes?) 



No comments:

Post a Comment