Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Laugh at the Confusion, Live for the Moment!

Another epic hike!  Wow!  This one had elevation and distance.  We even dragged our 14 year old along.  She was not too happy about it at first since the first three miles were all up hill.  But she was a trooper and did all 11 miles!!  Not that she had much choice.  ;-) Actually she did awesome and it was her longest hike ever!  Super proud of my sweet girl and love that she likes to go along and do these types of things with her mom and dad!  The dog came along as well.  She LOVES going on hikes and being off leash.  I made the mistake of asking her if she wanted to go for a run about an hour before we were supposed to leave.  She whined at me for about 20 minutes because she wanted to leave NOW!  I will not ask her that again until it is time to walk out the door! lol  Silly puppy!
We started at Peavy Arboretum and worked our way across the Saddle, towards Dimple Hill and then down to the Oak Creek Gate.
The weather was perfect (for this time of year) and it didn't rain.  We even saw some blue sky on occasion.
Some parts were hard.  Lot's of up hill and it was work.  Again, for the third week in a row, no frustration.  I have truly turned a corner.  Do I wish I was stronger?  Absolutely!  Do I realize that I kick ass for being out there and getting it done?  Absolutely!
Two of my favorite people!  
Love being able to go on hikes like this that are practically out my back door.  
I took a break from my normal eating and just let it go during the holidays.  I realized just how clean I have been eating the last few months because my gut rebelled big time.  I enjoyed the treats, chocolates, cinnamon rolls, fudge, etc that were around this past week but I paid dearly for indulging.  I don't think there will be a repeat performance next year!  Not worth it at all!!!  In a way it was a good lesson for me.  I realized that I had been doing very well in eating healthy and that my body likes that lifestyle better.  :-)  Nothing like being miserable for a few days to help me figure it out!  The hike on Sunday was a nice way to burn off some of the crap I had been eating so I could hit the reset button on Monday.

Monday was MUCH better!  I drank a ton of water, which meant I was peeing every other minute.  At least when I'm home I can do that.  Unlike work where I have to time bathroom breaks between classes.  I ate well and kept things under control.  I had a bit of a headache but that is to be expected when coming off a sugar withdrawal.  At least for me.  An entire year of no sugar and then BAM a week of overindulgence does not make for a happy head!

I even went to the movies and did not eat popcorn.  The movie popcorn is always so good but then I am miserable all evening after.  I'm pretty sure that whatever is in the butter or the way the popcorn is cooked does not fit the gluten free lifestyle.  I always feel crummy after so I don't know why I put myself through that.  I think this is the first time at the movies with NO popcorn, NO candy and NO soda!  Funny, I still really enjoyed the movie.  AND I didn't have to get up to pee half way through because I had been drinking a giant soda.  :-)  Go figure.

Two years ago I began this blog to help me and maybe let other people know that they aren't alone in the struggle to become healthier.  It's not an easy journey and has not gone the way that I had planned.  I'm not where I thought I would be at this point in the journey.  Blogging (or journaling) about the journey has helped me keep things in perspective, keeps me accountable and has helped me focus on the positives rather than the negatives.  (Most of the time!)  :-)

This is the time of year for New Years Resolutions.  I won't be making one this year.  I'm such a rebel.  Actually I will be continuing my work towards beting a healthier and happier me.  I don't think this is a new resolution, just a continuation of my long term goal.  I don't have any set plans yet, I will be holding off until after I finish my internship in April and see where I am at then.  For now the focus will be getting through this last part of my Masters degree, drinking lots of water and eating as healthy as I can.  Oh, and continuing to be completely thankful for the amazing friends and family who have walked with me on this journey.  I'm so proud of all they have accomplished in reaching their goals and learning from their failures.  I want to be just like them when I grow up.  :-)
This is perfect for where I am at right now!  Learning to laugh at the confusion and live for the moment!
I think this will be my theme for 2015!  Instead of having a resolution I will have a theme and work on what I can control and laugh at the rest.  :-)

Tomorrow I participate in the Hangover Run once again.  I can't wait!  Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment