Saturday, November 11, 2023

Silver Falls Trail Run 2023

Birthday Weekend! 

Once again we planned to spend the first weekend of November at Silver Falls State Park camping and running in the woods. 

Usually my birthday falls on the weekend or super close to the Silver Falls Trail Events so we always celebrate at the same time. This year my birthday fell on the Friday of our adventure weekend.  I spent the day getting lots of love from my students and a beautiful boquet of flowers from my hubby.

Hanging out with some of my favorite people at one of my favorite parks? That’s a BIG win! Joe, Wendie and I had signed up for the 7 miler. Josh was signed up for the Half Marathon. 

But coming off my epic 50k the week before I caught a cold. I didn’t stay at South Beach and camp with Joe. I went home and slept most of Monday. Good thing I had taken the day off! Although being actually sick was not how I had envisioned my “day to relax and recover”. 

I spent most of the week using DayQuil and NyQuil to make it through the day and sleep through the night. I didn’t have a fever and I tested negative for COVID. So I just had a yucky cold. 

I also had a really sore toe. I did really well avoiding blisters this year at Dia de los Muertos Endurance Run but I got a blister under the toenail of my second toe on my left foot. It hurt quite a lot and then I caught the edge of the lifted toenail on a blanket and OUCH! 

I ended up cutting off a bunch of the toenail and then spent the week with Neosporin and a bandaid on my toe. Shoes and socks were not my favorite. 🤣

We got to the campground and got all set up before 5:00 pm and then hung out until Josh and Wendie arrived.  We had originally planned to have a "fend for yourself" evening.  Joe and I were going to have leftovers from home.  But Joe thought it would be fun to head into Silverton and try out a pub instead.  Josh and Wendie were on board with that so we headed to Silverton when they got to the park. 

Dinner was at the Silver Falls Brewery.  We sat outside because even though it was raining it was quite warm out.  And they had a covered area and the table had a table top fire container.  The food was amazing and we had a great time!  Good idea Joe!!

Birthday dinner!  Fifty-Four is off to a great start!

Sign on the door of the bathroom at the brewery.  Accurate!! lol

We headed back to the park to get settled in for the night.  

I was thinking about my race Saturday and how I was going to make it happen. 

Then suddenly I realized I didn’t need to. 

I had nothing to prove. 

I had nothing to prove to anyone. Especially myself! 

You have to understand that in the past I have done this race (and others) even when I wasn’t healthy or had injuries. 

I was so worried that people would think I was a quitter or a pansy that I pushed through migraines, massive blisters, aching knees, etc. I didn’t want anyone to think I was making excuses. 

This week was different. 

I didn’t care.

Want to know why I didn’t care? (Because I am going to tell you.) 😂

I already know I’m a badass! 

I don’t have to prove it to anyone! 

Especially myself!!!

That is such an amazing and freeing realization. 

I didn’t give a shit what anyone thought. 

My toe hurt, I had a cold all week, I was tired, and it was supposed to rain all day.

And I didn’t want to suck it up and do it anyway. 

So I didn’t. 

And I had a fabulous time!!

Josh was going to take my race instead of doing the Half Marathon. But he caught the same yuck I did the weekend before and decided he was also badass enough that he didn’t need to race. (He got 100 miles at DDLM!) 

I got to see all my various friends that were there off on their run.  I went over to where they had a big fire going in the park shelter.  The lovely ladies volunteering let me have a piece of Marionberry Pie.  Always fun to chat with people at events and find out about where they are from and what they do.   Then I wandered to my truck and watched a live stream of my volleyball girls playing in the state playoffs. After that I went back to the finish line to I watch my people cross the finish line. 

We talked and laughed and cheered for people and it was so much fun. 

Joe and Chad before the race!
At the start, only 7 miles to go!

South Falls never disappoints, but in the fall it is spectacular!

Love all the fall color!

Coming to the finish after conquering Nutcracker Hill!  (If you know, you know)

Nice work Joe!
Wendie kicking ass at the finish, with Josh holding out a beer for her!

Beth finishing strong!
Didn't get pictures of Suzanne, Breck or Holly but they all did great too.  Suzanne beat Breck and anytime you can beat your teenager, its a good day!

Then we went back to the trailer and got a solid nap in. I love naps! Especially all cozy in our travel trailer! 

For dinner we had chicken enchiladas that I had made at home and all we had to do was heat them up. Joe got me firewood so we could have a fire in the fire pit. It was awesome! 

Always fun to sit around the fire and just talk and laugh!!!

We got up the next morning and had a leisurely morning since we weren't volunteering until 8:30 am. We had breakfast and then did somethings to get the trailer ready to leave.  Then we headed out to the start line so we could volunteer for the Half Marathon.  We usually help out at the aide station that is about 3.3 miles into the race.  Always fun to cheer for people!  I especially enjoy cheering for the people at the very back of the pack since I can completely relate to where they are.  

Even got to cheer for some of the people I met the day before when I was hanging around at the start and chatting with people!  So fun!

It wasn't long before the race sweepers came through and we were packing up the aid station.  

Back to the trailer to finish closing it down and then we were heading for home.  

It was nice to get home and not feel like we had to rush to get things put away and then go to bed.   We had the entire afternoon to take care of things and just be chill.  

So I don't have a medal for this race. 

And I am okay with that. 

I know I do need to get moving and have a regular routine with being active. 

I also know I need to decide on my next adventure, because it's part of what helps me keep moving.

But for this race weekend I was totally okay with not having to prove my badassery. 

Giving myself more credit then I have in the past.

Must be growing up a little.  









No comments:

Post a Comment