Monday, July 20, 2020

It's Okay...

Joe and I went for an Open Water Swim this morning.  It was a beautiful morning!  I love swimming in lakes.  (I don't love getting into my wet suit!) 

We got in the water and discussed out plans for the swim.  Joe took off.  I got situated and got started too.  I had to stop after just a bit to make some adjustments to my wet suit and my goggles. 

I had to stop several times to cough out water or just rest.  I was starting to get frustrated that I was going so slow and having so many issues. 

But then I realized that I didn't have an agenda.

Why was I worrying about how slow I was going or the fact that I had to stop and catch my breath so often? 

I'm not trying to prove anything.

I'm not training for a race. 

Truth is, I'm out there moving and working at being active.

Right now that is the important thing.

I turned around and just floated for a bit and looked at the amazing view.  Sun sparkling on the water, hills in various shades of green and gray along the lakes edge.  The quiet was also lovely.  Just the sound of the waves hitting the shore and birds in the trees. 
Just one of those reset or aha moments that I seem to have when I'm swimming. 

It's okay to be slow.  Doesn't matter if it is swimming, biking or running.  At least I'm moving!!

It's okay to not have a plan for every single workout, or to ignore the plan and just be okay with moving.

It's okay for things to not be where they used to be, because I'm not where I used to be as a person.  Always a work in progress.

It's okay to not be kicking ass every time I'm working out or even in everything I am doing. 

It's okay to be just doing the best that I can right now.

It's okay to just have fun.  Working out should be work to a certain extent, when working towards goals and being a healthier person.  Pushing hard to see improvement is a good thing.   That shouldn't mean that working out shouldn't be enjoyable.  Luckily I have really come to love swimming and biking. 


This idea of being okay also applies to the world we are living in right now.  


It's okay to be worried about COVID-19 and keeping yourself quarantined to reduce risk.

It's okay to be comfortable with seeing friends and family. 

It's okay to be unhappy that some police are racist and target people of color.

It is okay to believe that not all cops are bad and support those that are just trying to keep people safe. 

It's okay to be brokenhearted over how people are treating each other right now. 

It is okay to want to speak out against injustice.

It's okay to just try and live your life as example of love and tolerance. 

It's okay to wish people could just stop being so mean in their actions and their voices and want people to be kind. 

It's okay to disagree with others and still remain friends. 

It's okay to not completely agree with one side or the other on any given issue. 

It's okay to be struggling with anxiety and depression right now and needing to focus on self-care above anything else.  Between the Corona virus, the riots, the news and social media it's really hard to disconnect and not get sucked in to all the negativity. 

There are so many levels of okay.  Right now, I wish more people could see all those levels of okay.  Instead of being angry that others aren't where they are at or agree with them.  We are a fascinating and diverse world.  Everyone being the same and thinking the same would be boring.  But seriously, I'm positive the world could do better by just being kinder to each other in spite of the disagreements. 

Right now I'm okay with enjoying the movement and the ability to be active in spite of the weight gain, stress and the sometimes overwhelming number of unknowns right now. 

Taking victory in being okay. 




2 comments:

  1. All of the above, amen Lisa! If you ever want company on a ride, feel free to message me. I’m slow and am not worried about speed. I just want to ride. 😋

    ReplyDelete