Thursday, April 11, 2013

Inspiration

I get inspired by many things.  People I love, people I don't know, movies, books, true stories about overcoming immense odds, memes on Pinterest and Facebook and even YouTube videos.  This is a video that I found that I love.  I mean I LOVE it.  This kid is awesome!! Kid President and his brother-in-law make these videos together.  I found out after I had watched this Pep Talk that Kid President has brittle bone disease.   Get ready for one awesome pep talk:


I am a 43 year old woman whose biggest struggle is being tired and having a difficult time losing weight.  Big freaking deal.  This is a nine year old kid who has to be careful about how he sits down or bumps into a chair because he could break a bone.  He has such a positive attitude and a fantastic outlook on life.  Every time I watch this video it makes me smile and makes me appreciate my life and all I have been blessed with.

I showed the video to my students a while back and asked them to write down one piece of advice they loved from this pep talk.  Here is just a few things they came up with:

1.  You can cry about it or you can DANCE about it.
2.  We are all part of the same team.
3.  I'm on the road to AWESOME!!!
4.  Don't stop believing, unless your dream is stupid, then get a new dream. lol

"You can cry about it or you can DANCE about it" has become a class motto for all of my classes.  It's been fun to say it and apply it to our daily lives.  There are days where someone will be frustrated and mad and I'll say "Well, you can cry about it or...." and then either they say "Dance about it" or the entire class does.  And then we all do a little dance.  You can't help but be in a better mood and smile a bit when your goofy teacher and your classmates are dancing around you.  Believe me!  I have had students try to stay grumpy and it just doesn't work.  :-)

I have had many people tell me that they read my blog and how I'm such an inspiration.  I find that to be rather funny.  How am I an inspiration?  I'm not overcoming cancer or some horrible disease or any kind of disability.  Soldiers injured in war are an inspiration.  People who overcome disabilities are an inspiration.  Parents who help their children succeed in spite of overwhelming obstacles of poverty and racism are inspirations.  Basically I am just a woman who is too stubborn to give up.  And I'm facing an issue of weight.  Not life threatening weight problems or other related health issues that come with being morbidly obese.  In the big picture, my issues are teeny tiny.  Sometimes, when I am frustrated with my lack of progress, it helps me to look at the big picture and realize my problems aren't that bad.

For all the people who have inspired me in the past, THANK YOU!!  You have helped me on my journey.

For all the people who say I am inspiring them, THANK YOU!! You are helping me on my journey too!




No comments:

Post a Comment